Thursday, September 8, 2011

Shopping for cool-weather hiking and climbing

With two upcoming trips to plan out, in late-November and late-December,  I realized I needed to think about buying some cooler-weather clothes. Not because we don’t have enough clothing to add layers, but because I want to be mindful of safety and performance. In the past, we’ve always traveled relatively light, since our vacations are usually out west during the month of July. So our typical threads have included lightweight cotton tanks and shorts, hiking socks, hiking boots, and a wide-brim hat to shield us from the sun. Before that, we were hiking in sneakers and regular socks, but after the sole peeled off my poor sneakers, we started looking into proper footwear. Then we figured we should invest in proper socks, since we often hike long hours. And before we knew it, we were getting ourselves into climbing, which required other specific, non-negotiable needs.
But I digress…

Both of us hail from the state of New York, so we’re familiar with bundling up to shovel the driveway or trek across town. But when it comes to the right clothing for outdoor activities, I have to admit I was pretty clueless. After reading multiple sites, I realized the value in choosing the right clothes to reduce dangers such as hypothermia due to sweat-drenched cotton layers, and learning to pack only what you need – which isn’t a lot if you do it right. (When you even consider the amount of water you take on a hike, weight is everything.) So I started searching the Internet for tips on how to dress for hiking and climbing in cooler climates and started to build my knowledge of base layers, mid-layers, softshells and raingear, as well as different fabrics, fabric weight, zipper placement, and the whole wide world of…brands. Now anyone who knows me well knows I am not a brand snob (in fact, I am pretty firmly opposed to wearing clothes that aim to turn me into a walking advertisement), so this might raise some eyebrows, but I only mean I am learning about the different brands to understand the research behind their gear, as well as reviews for garments and accessories offered by each company. This was pretty eye-opening (and overwhelming), because I soon realized most brands offer pretty much everything, but each brand more or less specializes in only a few. I suppose this can be said about almost anything, but it helped me focus my searches depending on the item I was purchasing.  

The main thing I learned, much to the relief of my bank account, is I don’t need a lot of winter-specific clothes. It seems like heavier items only become necessary as you hike and climb in higher, much colder conditions (hard-core alpine, for example). So in preparation for my vacations, which will probably be in the mild 40s during the day, I think some basic layering will be fine. What has been helpful to me is climbing magazines, because most of them include gear reviews. The reviews in Trek & Mountain magazine, for example, outline items under specific categories (different layers, climbing shoes, harnesses, sleeping bags, etc.), with the main features and highlights listed for each item, overall value for the price, whether or not there’s a male/female counterpart available, and a brief summary on what to look for when selecting an item to suit your individual needs and preferences (pack weight/size, breathability, fit underneath a harness, ability to pull zippers while wearing gloves…). And the best part is for now, I can purchase items that will serve dual purposes. Any clothes I get that are suitable for climbing, for example, will be comfortable for hiking and scrambling too.

After long, intense searches, I think I purchased everything we need – and I didn’t have to spend a lot of money to get everything. Granted, this required a lot of price-comparing, discount-code searching, and in-store visits to check sizing, but it was well worth it. We each have a base layer, a wicking long-sleeve shirt, a lightweight fleece, a softshell, and a waterproof shell. And if this isn’t enough to keep us warm, we certainly aren’t working hard enough.

Oh – and pants. I guess it wouldn’t be appropriate to show up without pants.

If you want to compare gear and read some good reviews before buying, check out www.trailspace.com
Here are some good sites for discount gear (most offer free shipping if you spend ~$50):

No comments:

Post a Comment