Wednesday, August 17, 2011

All geared up

Today is an exciting day! I'm finally in possession of all the basic gear I need to climb...indoors, anyway! This means I no longer have to donate money to the gym to rent a harness that leaves bruises on my inner thighs. =)

My shoes were first, and I love them so far. Tip: if you're shopping for your first pair of rock shoes, please make sure you try them on and choose a pair that fits you well. Depending on your salesperson, there's a good chance you'll be encouraged to buy a pair that is a pretty expensive and a few sizes smaller than your typical shoe size. They told me if they hurt, go even smaller. They said I should be in pain. Don't listen to them! You are definitely not climbing at a level where super tight or super aggressive shoes will be beneficial. In fact, I don't think anyone ought to wear shoes that make them bleed. Avoid the extremely downturned/curved, pointed shoes and look for apair with a good sole and sturdy rubber. The pricier shoes are usually made with less rubber, so you'll wear through them quick if you don't know what you're doing. I'm new enough to climbing that I can vouch for the fact that you will be rough on your poor shoes as you learn to climb with better technique. With time, you'll learn what you like and don't like in a shoe and you can make a more informed decision with your next pair. For the perfect fit, get a pair that fits like a snug pair of socks. No extra room, but no pain either. Laces or Velcro? Depends on which feels better to you; typically the lace-ups can be pulled tighter for a perfect fit, but mine are Velcro and are great. Leather or synthetic? Either, but leather will stretch a bit and synthetic usually won't. Socks or no socks? I say socks, but I have to wear mine without because they'd be too tight with socks. A lot of great climbers wear socks!

So anyway, I've got my shoes. Last Friday I picked up my gorgeous belay device and a shiny carabiner to go with it. I love them - I know it sounds crazy, but I do! (And I should, as they will inevitably be burdened with holding our lives in their little...metal parts.) And last, but not least, I got my harness today! Now for some quick info on choosing the rest of your gear. From what I saw in all my research, it seems like most harnesses will perform relatively the same and will last the same number of years, depending on how frequently you climb, fall, etc. The main difference will be fit and comfort, so try them on, see if you like the features (adjustable leg loops, number of gear loops, single or double waist adjustments, or even just price). Mostly, it all comes down to personal preference. I'm not promoting brands here, so I won't specify which one I got, but visit some stores, try some on, and once you find the one you like, search online for a good deal. After that, be diligent about checking the condition of your gear to make sure you are always climbing safely. I read an article about a great climber that died after his belay loop wore out and failed. It seems like such an easy thing to do, check for wear, but he knew it was unsafe and climbed in it anyway (he was waiting for his new harness to arrive). The article saddened me because it was such a preventable tragedy.

Now regarding your belay device, look for something simple like an ATC device and just make sure you know how to use it. There's no point in getting a fancy tool if you don't know what it does! I'm still learning about the different uses for different types of carabiners, but I went with a screw-lock one because you definitely don't want your carabiner to accidentally pop open while you're belaying.

So I'm ready to go, and I really can't wait to try out my harness and rest in relief, not cringing because the leg loops are cutting off my circulation. Friday can't come fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment