Thursday, August 11, 2011

Will work to climb

Ok, I need to win the lotto - fast! Why can't I find a hobby that doesn't require anything but my body? Nude running or something? But really, I love photography and want a new camera (drooling over some new Canons I saw), but my latest focus is on improving my climbing. I also want to grow that into mountaineering and ice climbing, which aren't any cheaper! So what to do? We seem to take more and more trips each year, and those equal lots of vacation time too.

First things first; we got our climbing shoes and harnesses, about to commit to the climbing gym by getting our memberships (rock block was a great way to test out the waters), and have taken a wonderful rock 101 course with Fox Mountain Guides (in Brevard, NC) to confirm that I definitely LOVE this sport. Our guide, Karsten DeLap, was incredible. Never could I have imagined learning from someone so knowledgable, skilled, and so confident about his ability to help us climb and learn (someday) to climb on our own. I can't recommend him (and FMG) enough. With that said, I'll blog another time about how to choose a guide, which you should not take lightly. There are a lot of people who love to climb, but only a handful of them are qualified to do so. Watch out.

Anyway, I guess the point of my rambling is first to lament that we didn't win PowerBall, but next to come up with a plan of action so we can go out and climb again soon. I think I'll put all my money and energy into climbing, less eating out. That seems to be the only activity that I can bear to trade for food. In the meantime, I need to learn to boulder (and learn to love to boulder) because my strength needs work. I will continue to read the climbing book we received during our rock 101 class, and I will watch on YouTube the greatest climbers tackling routes I hope to visit one day. And I'll continue playing the lotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment